Sign in to follow this  
Handsome_Jimmy

New Rules Foolishness

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The NFL surprised no one on Tuesday at the 2018 NFL owners meetings when the league decided to pass the new catch rule. But the NFL caught everyone off guard on Tuesday afternoon when it announced a new addition to the playing rules: a player lowering his head to initiate contact is now against the rules. 

And the player in question who lowers his head may be ejected. In other words, this is targeting.

"For us this is a pretty significant change," Competition Committee member Rich McKay said Tuesday. "This is not situational protection. ... In this, we're basically getting to a technique that is just too dangerous for both the player doing it and the player that's getting hit."

"This has very little requirement to it," McKay added. "This is simply if you lower your head to initiate contact and you make contact with an opponent it's a foul."

The new rule takes out the requirement that the penalty be flagrant in order to result in an ejection. From the NFL's announcement:

Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant.

More pussification.  Just great. 

SMH

• Yep 1

1 hour ago, Joe Motherfucking Horn said:

Kamara gonna put up that double hundy on den burds

He also can not lower his head...

Have fun watching him run upright. LOL

23 minutes ago, treefiddy said:

He also can not lower his head...

Have fun watching him run upright. LOL

Freeman runs more with his head down than Kamara, no? 

• Yep 1

58 minutes ago, I'm Ron Burgundy? said:

Freeman runs more with his head down than Kamara, no? 

Freeman lowers his head a lot. Kamara does as well. All RBs have their entire life. This rule will be stupid dumb...

At least Julio left no doubt when it comes to the catch rule

• LMAO 2

RB's are going to be penalized all game long under this rule. So will KO and Punt returners. Flag football can't be far away.

• Yep 1

I'm okay with the catch rule. I've seen referees get too many catches wrong.  But this? This crap is going to kill the run game. Ridiculous.

14 hours ago, treefiddy said:

Freeman lowers his head a lot. Kamara does as well. All RBs have their entire life. This rule will be stupid dumb...

I have a sneaking suspicion they wont call it when RB's do it. They rarely do anything to handicap offensive players

Shit ain't even football.....shit, when I was playing you were taught to lead with your head, not the crown of the helmet but the face mask....motherfuckers do not have time to think out there " am I leading with my head " ......" play is developing is my fucking head down " ....most hits like that are inadvertent nowadays any fucking how.....COMPLETE BULLSHIT...

• Yep 3

This is started to get stupid. I used to joke about flag people 6+ years ago. Now I'm honestly thinking it's plausible

• Yep 1

5 hours ago, Negan said:

This is started to get stupid. I used to joke about flag people 6+ years ago. Now I'm honestly thinking it's plausible

Man, fuck all these motherfuckers.......

• Love! 1

16 hours ago, SaintRay said:

FFL

Flag Football League 2025

WWL

Won't Watch League

ultimately this is the NFL's fault. they are having to react to the lawsuits so it really isn't surprising

however, if they had not tried to hide the evidence when it came out way back when, invested in helmet research, and had the players sign disclosures and waivers they wouldn't be in this situation now

• Yep 2

I like it. Lowering your head can injure both parties. I know I am in the minority in this but if it improves the safety of the players, I am down for it.

1 hour ago, SaintsFanInLA said:

I like it. Lowering your head can injure both parties. I know I am in the minority in this but if it improves the safety of the players, I am down for it.

I'm sure you would not mind if these players lower their heads doh.....

image.png

• Yep 6

1 hour ago, Handsome_Jimmy said:

NCAA has approved a fair catch rule for kickoffs inside the 25 yd line, treating them as touchbacks.

Yeah, I think kick-offs will be phased out in the next 5 years. 

1 hour ago, DD: OG said:

Yeah, I think kick-offs will be phased out in the next 5 years. 

When people say the NFL is in trouble because of ratings/anthem nonsense, I laugh.

Not laughing at these kind of rule changes.

Why are they paying these guys millions if not to take the physical risks?  One can argue the relative scarcity of NFL talent drives the price up, but players have little true leverage beyond the labor union.