Sign in to follow this  
SaintRay

2017 Dropped Passes

32 minutes ago, Beef said:

I’m still baffled how we go from 11 to 34 with literally the same goddamn personnel.

Either we were really unlucky last year, or incredibly lucky in '16.

4 hours ago, DD: OG said:

Either we were really unlucky last year, or incredibly lucky in '16.

More likely somewhere in between, but Foghorn is right, this is just another sign that our offense is ready to pile up numbers.

6 hours ago, Beef said:

I’m still baffled how we go from 11 to 34 with literally the same goddamn personnel.

Our OL even gave up fewer pressures and sacks in 2017 than in 16.

It had to be mental.  Something caused a loss of focus and less concentration by the receivers.

Can’t put my finger on what that would have been though.  Maybe Sark and the different playcalling arrangements?  Maybe the SB hangover curse is real?  Just bad luck? (actually the tips turning into ints was definitely bad luck)

I don’t know.  I sure hope we go back to our mean again this season though.  Somewhere around 15-20 would be typical for us.  Would love another 11 or less year too.

Maybe Julio just isn't a good red zone receiver.

6 minutes ago, nola90 said:

Maybe Julio just isn't a good red zone receiver.

What does that have to do with them dropping about 15-20 more balls between all our receivers than we normally do?

6 hours ago, Beef said:

Our OL even gave up fewer pressures and sacks in 2017 than in 16.

It had to be mental.  Something caused a loss of focus and less concentration by the receivers.

Can’t put my finger on what that would have been though.  Maybe Sark and the different playcalling arrangements?  Maybe the SB hangover curse is real?  Just bad luck? (actually the tips turning into ints was definitely bad luck)

I don’t know.  I sure hope we go back to our mean again this season though.  Somewhere around 15-20 would be typical for us.  Would love another 11 or less year too.

Tipped balls turning to interceptions isn't really bad luck. You expect tips and overthrows to be intercepted.

2 minutes ago, S4L said:

Tipped balls turning to interceptions isn't really bad luck. You expect tips and overthrows to be intercepted.

Balls hitting receivers in the hands, and instead of catching very catchable balls, they end up as interceptions... 8x?

That's normal?

Bullshit.  C'mon, man.  Show us where that happened anywhere else in the league at such a crazy number in the past 10 years.

I can see it happens a couple times a season to nearly every QB, but 8 of your 12 interceptions were catchable balls that bounced off receivers and turned into interceptions?  Not normal.

Shit, one of them literally hit the receiver in his hands, then as the receiver went down to the ground he lost control of the ball, but instead of the ball hitting the ground, it came to rest on the receivers ass, and the DB grabbed it off his freaking ass for an "interception".  LOL

Another one, the receiver caught it, but didn't secure it properly and the ball was pinned between his elbow and his back, and the DB snagged it off of him as they went down to the ground.  Another "interception".

Just crazy shit happened last year like that.  Shake your head, WTF just happened type of weird shit.  Definitely not normal.

59 minutes ago, Beef said:

Balls hitting receivers in the hands, and instead of catching very catchable balls, they end up as interceptions... 8x?

That's normal?

Bullshit.  C'mon, man.  Show us where that happened anywhere else in the league at such a crazy number in the past 10 years.

I can see it happens a couple times a season to nearly every QB, but 8 of your 12 interceptions were catchable balls that bounced off receivers and turned into interceptions?  Not normal.

Shit, one of them literally hit the receiver in his hands, then as the receiver went down to the ground he lost control of the ball, but instead of the ball hitting the ground, it came to rest on the receivers ass, and the DB grabbed it off his freaking ass for an "interception".  LOL

Another one, the receiver caught it, but didn't secure it properly and the ball was pinned between his elbow and his back, and the DB snagged it off of him as they went down to the ground.  Another "interception".

Just crazy shit happened last year like that.  Shake your head, WTF just happened type of weird shit.  Definitely not normal.

I wasn't saying all of them weren't crazy. Just saying the tips and overthrows are expected to be intercepted by a defense.

• Yep 1

20 hours ago, nola90 said:

and I'm sure a few were shorter, its taking averages.

either way, dropped passes as a number doesn't hurt. but isolating a single play, yeah it definitely hurt. dropped pass. missed tackle. one play can easily end a season.

maybe a few were, but it's rare that a dropped pass is less than a few yards.

I'm willing to bet that the dropped passes cost Ryan at least 250 yards and 3+ TDs IN JUST those passes alone, not including the drives continuing and so on.

• Yep 1

2 hours ago, treefiddy said:

maybe a few were, but it's rare that a dropped pass is less than a few yards.

I'm willing to bet that the dropped passes cost Ryan at least 250 yards and 3+ TDs IN JUST those passes alone, not including the drives continuing and so on.

34 dropped passes?  8 of which became turnovers?

That’s 800-1,000 yards pissed away.  Shit, the turnovers alone were probably 300-400 yards lost. 

20 minutes ago, Beef said:

34 dropped passes?  8 of which became turnovers?

That’s 800-1,000 yards pissed away.  Shit, the turnovers alone were probably 300-400 yards lost. 

So Ryan would have thrown for 5k yards if not for dropped passes. 

• Yep 1
  • LMAO 1

16 minutes ago, nola90 said:

He throws for around 4600 normally, and we average around 15-18 dropped passes a year, with maybe one or two being tipped balls that result in ints. 

12 interceptions this past season, 8 of them tipped ints, and nearly 20 more dropped balls than normal, and he still threw for 4,100 yards. 

Pretty sure he still led the league in 1st downs and 3rd down conversion percentage too.

It was just a really weird year.  I don’t know how else to put it.  Crazy shit happened but his efficiency levels were still really high.  Just bullshit redzone numbers resulting in low TD’s.

Like whatever could go wrong just sorta did to some extent.

It was very deja vu to 2015, Shannahan’s first year.  A lot of WTF strange shit happened that year too. Very very similar feel to both seasons.

Just hoping Sark can replicate the 2nd year. 

10 hours ago, nola90 said:

Thats correct. Its really simple.

According to what I’m reading here, the Falcons won’t drop any balls this year. 

• Gay 1

5 minutes ago, SaintRay said:

According to what I’m reading here, the Falcons won’t drop any balls this year. 

Nobody said anything that closely resembles this bullshit.

• Yep 1
  • LMAO 1

16 minutes ago, DD: OG said:

Nobody said anything that closely resembles this bullshit.

It was pretty close Doloros.

• Blow Me 1

19 minutes ago, S4L said:

It was pretty close Doloros.

Where?  Quote it. 

I know I said the norm is 15-18 dropped balls. 

Where did you see something “pretty close” to zero?

20 minutes ago, Beef said:

Where?  Quote it. 

I know I said the norm is 15-18 dropped balls. 

Where did you see something “pretty close” to zero?

If your range is 1-100, 15 is pretty close to 0. lol 

• Gay 1

You girls acting all butthurt and trying to rationalize that Atlanta finished mid-pack. It is what it is. And so were Ryans overall stats. You can site all the reasons you want, but its still a real number. That won’t change. 

• Yep 1

11 minutes ago, SaintRay said:

You girls acting all butthurt and trying to rationalize that Atlanta finished mid-pack. It is what it is. And so were Ryans overall stats. You can site all the reasons you want, but its still a real number. That won’t change. 

Good old Tubby over here making shit up and when he gets called on it, he insists we're butthurt. 

SMDH