Sign in to follow this  
GOAT POTUS

Eric Reid signs three-year, $22 million deal with Panthers one year after going unsigned during free agency

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eric-reid-signs-three-year-22-million-deal-with-panthers-one-year-after-going-unsigned-during-free-agency/

It took about a year longer than expected, but safety Eric Reid finally got his long-term contract. 

On Monday, Reid signed a three-year contract with the Panthers. According to NFL Network's Mike Silver, the deal is worth more than $22 million -- a figure that Reid confirmed to reporters -- and could reach $24 million after incentives. 

"It gives my family peace of mind, knowing what will be the next couple years," Reid said, per The Charlotte Observer. "I enjoy being here, the city reminds me of where I grew up in Louisiana. It's low-key here, it's not too busy. ... I like the defense, I like the coaching staff, so I'm excited."

Reid, a former first-round pick of the 49erswho was the first player to join Colin Kaepernick in his protest against social injustice by kneeling during the national anthem, is finally getting what he wanted and quite frankly, probably deserved a year ago when he hit free agency but went completely unsigned despite experiencing a career season in 2017. Like Kaepernick, who remains unsigned, he responded by filing a collusion grievance against the NFL, which is ongoing. 

It wasn't until late September that Reid signed with the Panthers, who lost safety Da'Norris Searcy to injured reserve. His contract last season was worth less than $2 million, according to Spotrac. The contract he signed on Monday included $10 million in guaranteed money, according to Silver. 

With the Panthers for 13 games this past season, Reid racked up 71 combined tackles, one sack, one interception, and five passes defended. He also continued his protest, becoming the first Panthers player to kneel during the national anthem. Late in the year, Reid accused the NFL of targeting him with drug tests, saying he was tested seven times in his first 11 weeks with the Panthers. The NFL and NFLPA issued a rebuttal, which Reid and his lawyers rejected.

In terms of strictly football, a starting-caliber safety who was set to hit free agency won't be available on the open market. It's a good get for the Panthers, who only had the opportunity to sign Reid for extremely cheap last season because safety-needy teams refused to sign him in the spring and then banged up teams like the Falcons failed to take advantage of his availability early in the season. With safety Mike Adams also scheduled to hit free agency, the Panthers needed to address the backend of their secondary, which they did by giving Reid an offer that he felt was fair. 

"There were a couple factors (in deciding where to sign)," Reid said. "I can envision my family being here during the season and being satisfied with the contract. If I wasn't satisfied with the contract, I would've went into free agency."

Teams in need of a safety this spring will still have plenty of options with guys like Earl Thomas, LaMarcus Joyner, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, and Tyrann Mathieu all set to become free agents next month. 

Eric Reid: I didn’t even know you could be ejected in the NFL

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 9, 2018, 4:50 AM EST
gettyimages-1059411324-e1541757017367.jp
Getty Images

Panthers safety Eric Reid was ejected from Thursday night’s loss to the Steelers, which was unsurprising to anyone who saw him drill Ben Roethlisberger in the head long after Roehtlisberger’s knee hit the ground on his feet-first slide. Unsurprising, that is, to anyone other than Reid and his coach.

Reid said after the game that he was unaware that ejections are a thing in the NFL.

I didn’t even know you could be ejected,” Reid said. “The referees told me I was targeting him, which I disagree with.”

Related image

Guy is WAAAAAAY more trouble than he's worth...

• Yep 1

13 minutes ago, WakeGOAT said:

Best safety in the NFC SOUTH

hes not even as good as Kazee

and hes our Back up lmfao

but he is the best kneeler in the NFC South lol

• Yep 2

55 minutes ago, WakeGOAT said:

Fucking what? Lol. The Falcons alone have 3 guys I’d take before Eric Reid, and I’m a LSU fan lol. 

• Yep 3

22 minutes ago, S4L said:

Fucking what? Lol. The Falcons alone have 3 guys I’d take before Eric Reid, and I’m a LSU fan lol. 

Kazee and Rico have developed quite nicely, I sure hope Rico can come back from the achilles tear.

6 hours ago, S4L said:

lol I’m trolling Neal and Kazee both better. We don’t value safeties at all honestly. I’m shocked we re-signed him for this reason. Probably our best safety since Mike Minter so I’m gonna Stan for him

• Yep 1

13 hours ago, WakeGOAT said:

Were you born retarded or did you have to work at it your entire life ? ….

2 hours ago, Freebird Lives said:

It takes 7 years to become a Dr . Im sure it took him less than that to become a ratard

• LMAO 1

3 hours ago, Freebird Lives said:

He fell off the retard tree and hit every branch on the way down.