Sign in to follow this  
meezy0236

First Week Impressions of the XFL

So, after the first week of the XFL, I would say the overall experience wasn't terrible, in fact I would say it was quite good for a startup. A few things stood out about the league.

1. The speed of the game is fantastic, the 25 second play clock, and the running clock even on incomplete passes makes the game fly by, and the game isn't bogged down by unnecessary stoppages

2. No extra points. Totally changes the dynamics of the game, teams will have to actually utilize strategy after scoring which changes game plans, makes for more drama in close games, and teams who are down can use the extra point system to close scoring gaps in a hurry.

3. The Kickoffs, it looks crazy, but at least there's more opportunities for returns, while actually minimizing injuries that happens during the kickoff

4. One of the best things they have incorporated IMO, is the listening in on the replay review, this is a game changer, and the NFL could benefit from this if they        decided to adopt this into the game. With there being almost zero confidence in the officiating, this transparency lets the viewers see and hear what's going on in            the replay booth in real time, and provide insight into what they're looking at on the field when making rulings.

5. The end of each half. I like the clock stopping even in the field of play after the 2 min warning, only starting after the ball is placed and 5 seconds runs off the play                clock. This increases the number of plays and scoring chances, and could be vital for teams trying to increase their lead or teams trying to comeback. 

All in all, the league is much better than the first time around, and the talent in the league is much better, but only time will will tell if the league is sustainable, as for now they're off to a solid start.

• Yep 4

Agree with all points.

I watched Houston and LA play. The game was very entertaining and the talent was good on the field of play.

• Yep 2

10 minutes ago, meezy0236 said:

So, after the first week of the XFL, I would say the overall experience wasn't terrible, in fact I would say it was quite good for a startup. A few things stood out about the league.

1. The speed of the game is fantastic, the 25 second play clock, and the running clock even on incomplete passes makes the game fly by, and the game isn't bogged down by unnecessary stoppages

2. No extra points. Totally changes the dynamics of the game, teams will have to actually utilize strategy after scoring which changes game plans, makes for more drama in close, and teams who are down can use the extra point system to close scoring gaps in a hurry.

3. The Kickoffs, it looks crazy, but at least there's more opportunities for returns, while actually minimizing injuries that happens during the kickoff

4. One of the best things they have incorporated IMO, is the listening in on the replay review, this is a game changer, and the NFL could benefit from this if they        decided to adopt this into the game. With there being almost zero confidence in the officiating, this transparency lets the viewers see and here what's going on in            the reply booth in real time, and provide insight into what they're looking at on the field when making rulings.

5. The end of each half. I like the clock stopping even in the field of play after the 2 min warning, only starting after the ball is placed and 5 seconds runs off the play                clock. This increases the number of plays and scoring chances, and could be vital for teams trying to increase their lead or teams trying to comeback. 

All in all, the league is much better than the first time around, and the talent in the league is much better, but only time will will tell if the league is sustainable, as for now they're off to a solid start.

I agree with you on all points.

7 minutes ago, Sauce Castieaux said:

I would probably play in smaller stadiums. 17k for this is awesome. But its hard to see that in an 80k seat stadium

Great point. They could probably rent small college or high end high school stadiums and make it work .

• Yep 2