Sign in to follow this  
SaintRay

What's on the menu?

Today was Osso Bucco (veal shank), a rich veal stock reduction sauce, parmigiana risotto with peas and finished with broccoli.

image.thumb.jpg.eed6e37355e182d911bf2eba

Edited by SaintRay
  • Pink Pussy 2

Yummy. How u make the sauce? Tonite I'm making egg rolls and sweet and sour chicken.

• Pink Pussy 1

We had chicken from this new spot called Miami made chicken and fish. It was pretty good

Veal Reduction takes time. All day. But you only spend an hour of so in the kitchen in the beginning.

Ask your butcher to help you out with about 10 lbs of veal bones. Drizzle them with olive oil and put them in a 425 degree oven. When they start to brown, turn them over and brown some more. Usually about 1 hour total time.

Rough chop up 3 big onions, about 6-8 sticks celery and about 6-8 carrots. Cut a head of garlic in half sideways. Put all of this on a roasting sheet in the oven with some drizzled olive oil. Cook about 30 minutes until they begin to brown.

Heat a big stock pot and put a drizzle of olive oil in the bottom to lightly coat, add the roasted vegetables and about 6 oz tomato paste. Stir and cook on a medium heat about 5 minutes.

Take the bones out the oven and add them into the stock pot. drain off most of the grease. Pour about 1 cup of red wine into the pan the bones were in and deglaze the pan over a medium heat on the stove for about a minute or two, then pour the wine and pan drippings into the stock pot. Cover the bones by about 2 inches with water.

Slow simmer for about 8 hours, only adding water when the bones become exposed. During the entire process, skim any foamy crap that builds in the stockpot.

45 minutes from being done, take some cheesecloth and put 2-3 bay leaves, about 10-12 springs of fresh thyme and about 2 tablespoons of black peppercorns into the cheesecloth and tie it closed with string. Put it in the stock pot for about 45 minutes.

Take all the bones and cheesecloth out the pot and throw away.

Keep cooking over a slow fire and reduce the liquid by about 1/2.

That's it. Simple but it takes time. And you'll have more than you need, so it refrigerates good for about a week.

Just before serving, I like to add a couple of tablespoons of butter to the reduction in the pot when I use it. It's also against the law, but if I want it thicker, I'll add a small amount of cornstarch. But always mix the cornstarch in a small amount of water and stir it until smooth, then add to the pot.

• Pink Pussy 1

Damn I figured you guys would be posting pictures of hotdaogs wrapped in bread.  That's look dang good 

Man's gotta know how to cook. It's part or obtaining a man card.

• Pink Pussy 1

Men cooking down here in New Orleans is a right of passage. And you damn sure better know how to filet fish and boil crawfish.

But I only do it on weekends or holidays. We have a sizable family and we get together every other Saturday at my house. Its normally a 5-6 hour party with a 3 hour cocktail party before dinner. I'm just carrying on tradition. My Dad did it for many years before me, but he's late 80's now. 

Men cooking down here in New Orleans is a right of passage. And you damn sure better know how to filet fish and boil crawfish.

But I only do it on weekends or holidays. We have a sizable family and we get together every other Saturday at my house. Its normally a 5-6 hour party with a 3 hour cocktail party before dinner. I'm just carrying on tradition. My Dad did it for many years before me, but he's late 80's now. 

Up here, you need to be able to field dress a deer and grind your own sausage.

I was in the woods hunting years before I learned to drive. 

Tortellini Di Casa. 

Peas and proscuitto tossed with alfredo and cheese tortellini.

o.jpg

• Pink Pussy 1

20150601_182412.thumb.jpg.42347cd9478156anybody here eat vietnamese food ? 

Seasoned beef chicken, prawns with spring rolls , carrots vermacelli noodles with fish sauce and hoison.  

Shit is Delicious.  

• Pink Pussy 1

Glad someone started a food thread, i like to cook and get new ideas...the one Regular Guy did at the TATF off topic forum was da bomb...I did some jerk shrimp tacos tonite, was crazy good....

Edited by Freebird Lives

20150601_182412.thumb.jpg.42347cd9478156anybody here eat vietnamese food ? 

Seasoned beef chicken, prawns with spring rolls , carrots vermacelli noodles with fish sauce and hoison.  

Shit is Delicious.  

Real spring rolls or egg rolls?  I want to make real spring rolls,  but finding real rice paper is a bitch.  It looks good! 

• Pink Pussy 1

Real spring rolls or egg rolls?  I want to make real spring rolls,  but finding real rice paper is a bitch.  It looks good! 

Funny enough, I just got some after a month or so of looking for it.

Yes real spring rolls.   

Also I'll add pic later but fresh spring rolls(not deep fried ) with peanut sauce is really good.  

Yes real spring rolls.   

Also I'll add pic later but fresh spring rolls(not deep fried ) with peanut sauce is really good.  

Oh,  yeah!  I could eat peanut sauce on just about everything. I love the fresh spring rolls,  too.  I just can't find rice paper anywhere close. Looking forward to the pictures. 

I thought I'd ask if any of you guys have any wicked rub or BBQ sauce recipes.   

I've been googling but thought I should ask the southerners.  

Thanks. 

I thought I'd ask if any of you guys have any wicked rub or BBQ sauce recipes.   

I've been googling but thought I should ask the southerners.  

Thanks. 

Got a few good ones. I'll get 'em out tomorrow. There will be a few "huh" ingredients,  but they work!